Friday, June 6, 2008

EXTRA!!! EXTRA!!! READ ALL ABOUT IT!!!



Day - 17 News Flash!


7:42 pm I received a voice message from Capt. Ned. He was laughing and said if I wanted to know what kind of exciting things were happening to him that I had better call him back. He continued with every things okay but it's a good one. I had actually just hung up the phone when his call was coming in, so my phone never actually rang, it went right to voice mail, but lucky for all of us, I was right next to it when I heard the message alert sound. I immediately called him back.

After 2 rings he answered with a "you ain't gonna believe the Chinese fire drill I juts witnessed first hand". He said he was just sitting there enjoying the sites when this young lady drove up and unloaded this little 12$ POS (peice of sh!t) 8 to 10' dime store inflatable boat with 1 paddle about the size of a spoon. She was getting ready to launch this thing into the Wabash. Let me remind you that THE RIVER IS UP! Capt. Ned quickly intervened and said "do you really think that's a good idea...do you have any clue as to what you're getting your self into".

She responded with a clueless "I just want to paddle around the river a little bit". Ned said "well, it's only going to take a little bit for you to end up in the Ohio River. Now I cant stop you, but if this is something you feel you really need to do, I strongly suggest you go up stream, so when you come flying by I can call 911 for you".

About that time, out of the blue, somebody on a golf cart came by and took this woman and her POS up the river. Well...game on. Capt. Ned said he sat back cracked open a gold top, opened up his cell phone and was just waiting to dial. Yep...it wasn't long before she come rollin...rollin...rollin down the river. Screaming, yelling and frantically paddling with her spoon. It was at this time the good 'Ol Capt. Ned dialed 911 for the first time in his life.

Hey dad, I know it's going to be a long time before you're back aboard the "Rainbow's End" and read this, but damn...ain't it a bitch always being right. I know the feeling...I'm a Mott.

Captain Ned was still on the phone with 911 dispatch, still yelling for the woman to give up on trying to reach the Indiana bank and for her to head to Illinois, when New Harmony's Marshall Scott Champlin pulled up. Followed by a police rescue boat, the EMS, a fire truck and couple more squad cars. Lights flashing everywhere.

The police rescue boat was immediately launched to then immediately discover that it wouldn't start. Now we have a police rescue boat, not necessarily in distress, but yet floating down river. In the mean time, the woman in distress is clinging onto some trees on the Illinois bank. A few moments later another rescue boat arrived and rescued both the woman in distress and the rescue boat.

Once the distressed woman was safely back on the bank Indiana bank of Historic New Harmony she hugged and thanked Captain Ned for spotting her and calling for help. Ahh...hello...lady...my dad saved your life. Capt. Ned simply asked her "did you learn anything?".

After dad was done telling me the story, that we were both laughing heavily through out, I had too ask "Scott...you said Scott pulled up...you spoke as if you already knew him". Capt. Ned said that shortly after he first pulled up to shore Marshall Champlin stopped to see what was happening and asked what he was doing. Ned said "if your here to charge me for anything, please do it while I'm sitting down, because I'm damn tired". Captain Ned's intentions were explained, pleasantries were then exchanged and all is good. Marshall Scott Champlin will now be following the blog and enjoying the journey. Welcome, it's only just begun.

1 comment:

Dara said...

I just read about your Dad on the front page of our local newspaper, The Robinson Daily News, in Robinson, Illinois. What a fascinating and exciting journey! I have added this blog to my favorites and will be following along in your Dad's adventures. Good luck & have a safe journey Captain Ned!

Dara Williamson