Thursday, June 5, 2008






Hello - Hello

Here are some more photos of the Darwin camp site. The top 1st picture, left to right, is Kevin, 'Ol Ned, Larry and Jake. Jake is Karen's son. Karen is a long time friend of the family. In the 2nd picture Capt. Ned is trying to teach Larry his A B C's...just kidding, he's showing Larry a new route that he's decided to take.

In the 3rd picture Capt. Ned is playing with his new crank radio. The view of the background confirms the fact that Ned is having a good time. He's seeing things most people never get to see and meeting people he never would have had the opportunity to meet. Dad gave me some Mott wisdom a long time ago, he said "never get so damn busy that you forget to live, because when you're old & gray and you no longer have your health, all you'll have are your memories...so make them good ones". Another one was "when you are on your death bed, trust me...the last thing you will say is...I wish I would have worked more". Hmmm.

The 4th picture of the captain, Kevin, Karen and Jake can be easily summed up...chilling & telling lies. The 5th and last picture of the bunch is the last one that was taken just before everyone left the camp site to let 'Ol Ned get some shut eye. Grinning from ear to ear with a belly full Gold Top - Busch.

Day - 15

Before I log this day I want to give another quick thanks to everyone who is helping keep me informed. Especially my Uncle Keith. Uncle Keith has not missed a day of keeping the family informed of his brothers whereabouts. The first thing I do, as I think all the Mott's now do every morning, is check their email, and as sure as the sun, there it is, the inner family email from Uncle Keith entitled "The Kayak Kid". Thanks!!! Everyone else in the family who's talked to Capt. Ned in the past 24 hours then tacks onto to Keith's email with their input. I couldn't do this without you. Thanks!!!

Lindy reported that she spoke with her Uncle Ned at 11:00 am and that the captain was currently relaxing and drifting down river backwards checking out where he had been. He started off the day with a couple mix-n-berry granola bars and was planning on snacking on some of Aunt Becky's famous jerky.

Now let me tell you a little something before we go further, my Aunt Becky, besides being a total sweet heart, cant be singled out for just jerky. This woman can cook, bake and grill up a storm. Every time I visit there are always fresh baked goods sitting around just waiting to be munched on at will. And there is always something homemade that's either ready or will soon be ready to chow on. Even if it's leftovers. We all know the leftovers are sometimes the best. Just an FYI...most all of the vegetables come fresh from her garden. If you leave the company of my Aunt Becky hungry...it's your own damn fault. Man...I'm all of the sudden real hungry...Ohh and thirsty too...my cousin Kevin can make one hell of a mean bloody mary. It's like a meal. I could go on and on, but we need to get back to the captain. I guess I'm just thinking about the trip I have planned to head back up their.

Back to Capt. Ned, he told Lindy he was having a ball and that all of the people he has been meeting along the way have been great! He said that Wilson was still giving him fits and that his last unscheduled stop for modifications lasted about 2 minutes before he flipped in-side-out again. He then said he had to get going because there was a log bumping into the kayak and that it was trying to push him back north towards Ft. Wayne. He chuckled and told her to tell everyone to "hang in there while he keeps on keeping on".

Day 15 ended about 4 miles from Grayville, IL were more modifications on the umbrella sail that he named Wilson were going to be made...yet again.

No comments: