Tuesday, June 24, 2008






Weekend update...Days 32 & 33

Captain Ned still doesn't have a signal on his cell phone. Leslie Van Pelt on the other hand does have a signal. Capt. Ned ran into Leslie and some other very nice folks on an island / sandbar. Leslie let Capt. Ned borrow her phone so he could check in real quick to let us know he was alive.

Capt. Ned contacted Uncle Keith for a quick hey mon, doing fine, in Rosedale, MS camping on an island with some other nice folks, their are bear tracks on the island, hoping to be in Vicksburg, MS in a couple days, cant talk, borrowing phone, have to get off of here so I can commence to the consumption of some of my new found friends cold beer.

Please be sure to go back a couple / few posts and check out the comments. Leslie, Heidi and Brent have posted some comments, and it sounds to me like there was some partying going on. And not only did they supply 'Ol Ned with cell service and beer, but they also gave him a "Po Monkey's Lounge" beer huggie.

3 Delta Icons...The River...The Plantation...and The Juke. Po Monkey's Lounge is one of the last standing blues juke joints. This is a MUST SEE kind of place. Use the popular search engine that I have mentioned in the past and just punch in Po Monkey's Lounge and be ready for a plethora of information and history. There are several sites and articles. Pretty cool.

The action photos of Captain Ned come to us courtesy of Mr. John Ruskey. John Ruskey of Clarksdale, MS sent me an email titled "Your father at Kangaroo Point mile 650". Saturday June 21st, Summer Solstice, Mr. Ruskey, founder/owner/operator of the "Quapaw Canoe Company" was out with 6 other people in a canoe that he built when they rendezvoused with Capt. Ned around noon a couple miles south of Friars Point, MS.

I checked out the Quapaw Canoe Company / John's web site www.island63.com and this too is a MUST SEE. I'm not done checking it out yet, there is a lot their. Their are journals & photos of canoe expeditions, an events calender, and at the very bottom of his home page John graces the cover of the "Memphis Flyer" magazine. The article dates back to December 2000, but I can almost guarantee that if you read this article, as I did, and check out the pictures at the end you are going to want to take a trip with this dude, as I now do.

John, thank you again for pictures and especially for the kind words about my dad.

I created the maps working off of what was posted in the comments and emails received from the fine people 'Ol Ned has paddled across in the last couple days. I believe it to be pretty accurate.

1 comment:

absurdly yours said...

We were more than happy for Captain Ned to join in on the small party on the sandbar. We enjoyed his many stories and pictures of the boats. I was, however, a bit worried after we discovered all the tracks, but Captain Ned assured me that he would be fine with his weapon loaded and ready for the night. I am a daily blog reader of several blogs, and I have been glad to add Captain Ned's to the list. I hope the remainder of the trip is safe, and maybe he will run upon some other folks with some cold "gold tops"....ha ha! Best wishes!
Heidi